Sunday, February 10, 2013

Also...

Last summer was just perfect. I have so many wonderful memories. Before Salt Lake, I was able to do a few fun and exciting things. John and I celebrated 10 years of marriage!! And I ran my first 5k...The Color Run.

I didn't realize we would be going anywhere for our anniversary when I signed up for the Color Run which was on our anniversary day. When the summer got closer, John and I decided we should do something. We decided to book a couple nights at a really fun hotel in KC. It's one with the themed rooms, we got the Castaway room...super fun. We were able to spend 2 1/2 days without children!! We went shopping, went out to eat, saw friends and just had an amazing time together. I love that man to pieces!! I can't believe we have been married for more than a decade. We have been through a lot together and I really wouldn't have it any other way. I know it's cliche but it's true. We were married young by today's standards but we have grown together and been able to share so many experiences and memories. I have that much more time with my eternal companion, and yeah, I wouldn't have it any other way.

A few weeks later it was time for the Color Run. The winter before, some friends and I made a goal. Not only did I want to lose weight and be healthier but I wanted to RUN a 5k, so we all registered for the Color Run and began a journey. At least it was a journey for me. The last Friday in June, we headed for KC. We went out to eat, had a hotel and had a blast. Dinner was delicious and so much fun, and having a "sleep over" with friends was also a lot of fun. We got up in the morning and headed for the stadium where the race was to take place. There were over 30,000 people there!! We were a bit late and we waited in the sea of humanity until we were at the start line. I think we were in the 10th heat. Anyway, I ran the whole way!! It was a BLAST!! Really hot, really colorful and just so much fun. I was so proud of myself and the ladies that went with me. We all finished!!

I have gone on to run another Color Run, the Glow Run and a half marathon with a friend that set up her own here in town. I have to say that if you are starting a weight loss journey or you want to be a runner, start with a goal. One that is attainable, one you aren't doing alone, and one that is fun. A 5k is a perfect way to start. It was for me and I will be returning to KC for the Color Run with an even bigger group this summer....so excited!!
After the race

After we showered
The Glow Run. This one was actually timed and I was really proud of myself. 
The second Color Run.

The Fourth at my MIL's.

Baby S was a little confused. She thought the crate was the best place to be.
 E likes dirt
At the beginning of each summer we make a list of the things we want to do. Usually there's picnics, camping, catching fireflies, bike rides and so many other things on it. It is has been a wonderful tradition for us. Last year, I started something else for summer...a project. Each of the kids got to pick a project at Hobby Lobby to complete. A's was this bag, J made a model solar system that hangs in his room, Ike made a dream catcher and E colored a poster.

 John and I took the kids to the Kansas History Museum here in town. There is a little area they can dress up in. J had the perfect serious cowboy face and A had to try really hard not to smile. Ike wouldn't even try the cowboy stuff.


The boys adore their baby sister!!


The kids were invited to do a Friend Camp with a bunch of kids from church. They met everyday for a week and played fun games, got treats, and went swimming. 

1 comment:

Katie said...

I would say it is about time, but I haven't been much better with my blog. :)
It was fun to read about your fun year! Congrats on all your accomplishments! Love the museum pics of the kids as well as the craft pics. So fun!