I gave a talk in church yesterday. The topic I spoke on was the
Atonement of Jesus Christ. As I studied this topic, I became very aware of the
love our Heavenly Father has for all of us. To give "His only begotten
Son" to atone for our sins. I am grateful not only for Heavenly Father's
love for us, but the Savior's love for us as well. After all, it was He alone
who could bring to past the atonement. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland explains why.
This infinite
Atonement of Christ was possible because (1) He was the only sinless man ever
to live on this earth and therefore was not subject to the spiritual death
resulting from sin, (2) He was the Only Begotten of the Father and therefore
possessed the attributes of godhood that gave Him power over physical death, and
(3) He was apparently the only one sufficiently humble and willing in the
premortal council to be foreordained to that service.
As I further studied this topic, I was led to the topic of
repentance. I think we oftentimes don’t talk about the repentance process deep enough
when we relate it to the Savior’s atonement. Sure, we know we need to repent to
be cleanse of our sins, but do we understand the need of our own suffering
during this repentance process? Elder Dallin H. Oaks talks about the need for
our personal suffering.
Why is it
necessary for us to suffer on the way to repentance for serious transgressions?
We tend to think of the results of repentance as simply cleansing us from sin,
but that is an incomplete view of the matter. A person who sins is like a tree
that bends easily in the wind. On a windy and rainy day, the tree bends so
deeply against the ground that the leaves become soiled with mud, like sin. If
we focus only on cleaning the leaves, the weakness in the tree that allowed it
to bend and soil its leaves may remain. Similarly, a person who is merely sorry
to be soiled by sin will sin again in the next high wind. The susceptibility to
repetition continues until the tree has been strengthened.
When a person
has gone through the process that results in what the scriptures call “a broken
heart and a contrite spirit,” the Savior does more than cleanse that person
from sin. He gives him or her new strength. That strengthening is essential for
us to realize the purpose of the cleansing, which is to return to our Heavenly
Father. To be admitted to His presence, we must be more than clean. We must
also be changed from a morally weak person who has sinned into a strong person
with the spiritual stature to dwell in the presence of God. We must, as the
scripture says, become “a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord”
(Mosiah 3:19). This is what the scripture means in its explanation that a
person who has repented of his sins will forsake them. Forsaking sins is more
than resolving not to repeat them. Forsaking involves a fundamental change in
the individual.
This caused me to look back at the times I have gone through the
process of repentance. It was during those times where I felt the suffering from
decisions that I made and was able to truly lean on the Savior, pleading for
His help to change me.
So, I am grateful. I am grateful for Heavenly Father, who in His
infinite wisdom had a plan for us to be able to return to Him. I am grateful
for our Savior, who was the only one who could carry out the atonement and volunteered
to do so. Finally, I am grateful for my own suffering. This has given me
greater appreciation for Christ’s suffering and has allowed me to become stronger
and even changed.
-John
-John

No comments:
Post a Comment