Friday, August 15, 2008


A few things have been brought to my attention. I look terrible in that picture to the right here (I was camping, give me a break!) and some of you might be interested in John's smoothness those first couple of days we knew each other.


As for the first, well, like I said, I was camping and hair product and make up were no where to be found, let alone a mirror. I would have to agree that I look like poo but the pictures of me are few and far in between. I am in agree-ance with the friend that mentioned that the darker hair looks better and I am thinking about re-dying it. Anyway, those of you who are deeply concerned about my well being because of this picture-don't worry, I do, on a normal basis, have my hair done up cute with a pound and a half of hair product and my face is graced with mascara at least. I appreciate the concern and I would be deeply concerned as well if a friend of mine posted a picture of this horrific magnitude. Thank you for the concern all.


For the second subject-John. Well, like I said my friend convinced me to go on a date with him (I later found out that all she had to do was tell him that I was cute). Now keep in mind it was Thanksgiving Day, I was planning on staying home with my family. So I show up at Ashley's house and it's all commotion like it always is at her, or my house, and they introduce John and I. I think he may have said "Hi" but, other than that, he didn't say a word to me. I didn't speak to him either, but come on - he's the guy.


So we go to the movie theater (we being John, Ashley, TJ (who is now A's husband) and myself). I actually rode in the back seat with TJ. I don't remember how that worked out by the way, but I do remember them (A and TJ anyway, I don't think John knew me well enough and like I said he didn't speak to me) making fun of my because my coat smelled like Thanksgiving dinner. Actually, I think he may have said something like "I think you smell fine" so that brings the word count up to what? Six, yes, six.


Some of you might be thinking about now "So what? He didn't talk to you because he didn't know you." Well, those of you thinking this obviously don't know John. He could hold a conversation with a bush. Even if he didn't know said bush. Just not me apparently. Also, it might be crossing your minds that we were set up and he just didn't like me so he felt weird talking to me. Once again, remember the bush. On top of that, HELLO, we are married now, so obviously he had to have liked something about me. I now know that he even thought me very attractive, so I don't know. Six words? In what, an hour? Can we say suave?


Well, we made into the movie and we were very early. All four of us go in and sit down with like 45 min til the movie starts. We sit down in this order from left to right- me, Ashley, TJ then John. Ya, not only could he not speak to me but he couldn't sit next to me either. Well, given the extraordinary amount of time we had, Ashely and I start to goof off. We are running around and being silly (there is no one else in the theater, remember-it's Thanksgiving, most people are at home with their families not on a date with some guy snubbing them. I might also mention that at this point I was wishing that I had stuck to my original plans).So anyway, the movie gets ready to start and we all take our seats again, in the 'don't touch me' manner I explained, and Ashley and TJ decide to go get some food. So there we are John and I, all alone, but on opposite sides of the theater. I decided that this arrangement was a little ridiculous so I, yes I, went and sat next to him. Besides the fact that he found Monsters Inc. scary in a part or two, the rest of that evening was fine. I daresay fun.


So there's the first date for you. We went out like three more times that weekend and then he had to go back to KS (we left for college later that day). I walked him out to his car when he was leaving to say goodbye (remember, he had kissed me by this point. Bad boy!!). We are at his car and he gives me a hug and says "I will get your email address from Ashley" and he got in his car and left. Okay. Not very cool. I was pretty sure at that point that he was just a jerk and I was never going to hear from him again.


I realized that was not the case when I got to UT two whole days later (that's another story) and he had called fifty times and left like 10 return numbers. I guess he did like me. Who knew? Then a few short weeks later he tells me he loves me-shock ensues. Then a few short months later he proposes. I must have been in shock, more shock, because I did say yes!

3 comments:

The Idaho Olsens said...

That is funny, I never knew that about how you and John started off your "relationship"...When Ryan and I met I remember being introduced to him but don't remember anything else about him, like what he looked like. Oh well it all works out in the end like it is supposed to. Your right John could have a conversation with anybody or anything. I'm glad you guys had a great vacation!!

Jess and Travis... said...

Love it! Who knew John was such a dork! I think Travis did better than that! I love hearing these stories and getting to know you better!

azufelt said...

This is all too funny... apparently there were some details in there that I had forgotten about, but as you refreshed my memory I remember it now.

What did we do the next nite on date #2, when John and David were being a jerk to me? Something on Pearl St.....

And then of course by date 3 it was TJ that was totally freaked out!