Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ethan David Balsmeier

He's here!! Ethan was born on September 23rd at 11:42am. He weighed in at a whopping 10lbs 7oz and was 22'' long. I know--he's huge!  Not my longest baby but definitely the heaviest, by more than a pound. Everything went well. I had a C-section, of course, but they had to do some manouvering to get him out. They were concerned about his blood sugar levels because of his size but both tests came back good. He nurses well and is utterly adorable. I am feeling as well as can be expected after major surgery, but as long as I stay on top of my pain killers, I am doing alright.


Thank you, by the way, for all of the name suggestions. Some of you might be wondering where we got Ethan from, well. . .I have always liked the name Ethan and kind of never really thought of it until last week. John and I were searching on the internet for names and we did a 'biblical name' search. Yes, people, Ethan is in the bible. . .who knew? Okay maybe a lot of you did, but I did not. The name is mentioned in 1 Chronicles. He is reffered to as a musician and in 1 Kings it's implied that he was a wise man. Although all the previous kids have biblical names-- we did not plan it that way. We liked Abigail, Jacob is my g-grandfather's name, and Isaac just went well with Drake. We decided to stick with that 'theme' and I liked the way Ethan went with the other kids' names--it was just very convenient that a name I love just happened to be mentioned in the bible. David, of course, is John's middle name and there you have it--Ethan David.


10 comments:

The Idaho Olsens said...

Congrats!!

the Provident Woman said...

How wonderful! Congrats! He's such a cutie.
theprovidentwoman.com

JJ said...

We love him! He is just sooo cute! Great job John and Clara!

Karolyn said...

Congrats Clara! What a big boy! I love the name Ethan btw and I for one did not know off the top of my head that it was a biblical name! Now I will never forget!

Jess and Travis... said...

So cute! You make cute babies! Love you!

Sarah Smith said...

Congrats! He is so cute and the name fits. You look great too! Can't wait to meet him!

azufelt said...

Yay, Congrats! I am in awe that that much baby can fit inside a person... way to go!

Can't wait to see even more pictures of the cute little baby!

eamartinson said...

Congrats on the BIG baby!! The last two I had were over 10 lbs!!! It doesn't feel like you get a baby baby huh? ..but enjoy all the more to snuggle with!!

Rachel Holloway said...

WOW!! He was a WHOPPER! But you all look great together--beautiful family!

Shane said...

Just sort of stumbled upon your blog. You have a beautiful family!

Shane.