Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I am thinking PINK

As mentioned before, we had the ultrasound today. Actually we almost didn't. For my own journal-ing purposes here's the story...

I had sooo been looking forward to my appointment today or dreading it-depending on how you look at it. The ultrasound was scheduled for 10am and then my appointment with the doc directly after. John and I showed up about 10 minutes early and checked in. The nurse called us back to a regular room shortly after. I mentioned that I was supposed to be having the u/s and she just shrugged and said, "Well, it shows here that that appointment was at 9:30 so we'll have to reschedule." I was not a happy camper. I stuttered over my words in explaining that was not what I had scheduled...she didn't say anything. Then she had the audacity to ask for my urine sample (gross, I know, but that's the way it is). I, not quite politely, informed her that I did not because I was expecting an ultrasound. This means, for those of you who don't know, that my bladder is  full in a BIG way. I am assuming that she does know this, working in an OB office and all. She didn't do anything other than shrug and mutter that it was no biggie and the doc would be in soon. Oh. My. Goodness. I do not like that nurse.

Anyway, the doc came in a few minutes later (while I am seething with unhappiness) and gave me a strange look. I explained what was going on and she said she would go talk to the tech. She did and apparently, the appointment after me was transferred to KC so she was open for the next little while. Score for us. We walk down to the u/s  room and the tech mentions to me that she may not be able to see everything because they usually do u/s at 20 or 21 weeks as opposed to 18 weeks like I am. Seriously? The tech was actually very good, I've had her before and I like when she does my u/s.

The first thing she checked was the gender and, lo and behold, it's a GIRL. She did all of the boring work like making sure the baby is healthy and has all of her parts. Then checked again for those all important girl parts. By the end of the u/s she was kicking and wiggling and trying to 'swim' away from the pressure of the sensor on my belly. She was very upset we had bothered her so long. It was so incredibly cute. Then it was back to the exam room for a quick chat with the doc and we were outta there.

I woke up this morning with the distinct feeling, for the first time, that if this baby was a boy that our family would still be complete and that I would not be disappointed with that news. At first, when she told us that it was a girl, I thought she's just got it wrong and there really are boy parts in there somewhere. The tech assured us that she would not tell us a girl just by lack of boy parts, but that she distinctly saw girl parts...the first and second time she checked.

We left there, went and got a balloon and stopped by A's school to give her the news. We snuck up behind her at recess and she had no clue what was going on. Strange, given the huge balloon, the huge pink teddy bear inside it and the "baby girl" written across it. A did catch on and the look on her face was priceless. John and I went to pick up the boys and they were just fascinated by the huge balloon. It made no difference what color the teddy bear inside was.

Well, that's the story... which probably isn't that interesting to everyone but it was a pretty roller coaster morning for me. I remember going from such anger and irritation to such overwhelming joy when she said "girl". I did get a little teary-eyed but I did not cry. We are so relieved that the baby is as healthy as they can tell at this point and I got some really great pictures of my baby girl...including a perfect shot of her foot and toes.
I am so happy that my little princess will get the sister that she has been wanting ever since I was pregnant with Ike. When she (she had just turned 3) found out Ike was a boy she asked, "So does that mean that we get rid of Jake? Can we throw him away?"

I also must admit that I am very pleased to be able to make and shop for things in pink!!

3 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

I am SO happy for you--it will be so fun to have a sister! I know Jenna has wanted that too, and I just don't know if that will ever be. :( I love the way you announced it to her! So cute!

Danna said...

I am so excited for you guys! I can't wait to meet your little princess :)

Katie said...

I am SO very excited for you guys! It is so fun to shop for girls! Not to mention doing their hair, painting their little toes and fingers and all that fun girly stuff!
Congrats!!!!