Saturday, November 27, 2010

Jacob

A few days ago was my oldest son's 5th birthday.... I remember being so miserable, pretty much the entire pregnancy with him. I was to be induced and the date finally settled on the 25th, the day after Thanksgiving that year. My parents were out for the holiday and for his birth. We had a nice low-key holiday and then I was at the hospital bright and early. Everything went wrong. The pitocin was not as effective as it should be, I wasn't progressing much at all for a long time, the anesthesiologist was on the road to getting kicked by a pregnant lady, the epidural was mostly ineffective, and then the boy had his hand on top of his head. I remember the nurses feeling his fingers move on his head a few times when they checked me earlier in the day. Not wanting to injure his arm or shoulder, they told me to NOT push. So NOT fun. I didn't push and tried several different positions to see if he would move his hand. Two hours later, I was in surgery getting this troublesome child out of me.

His poor hand was purple and swollen but, other than that, he was perfect. He was the longest baby the nurse had ever measured. I was so tired and hurting a lot, they had me on morphine for the first while and I really don't remember much from his first 48 hours or so. I was so happy to have him home and he was such a sweet baby. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to heal and he ended up being sick for the first month. I finally healed some but he did not get better until after surgery at a month old.

J has grown into a healthy happy little boy. He is very kind and generous. He is so boy! He loves anything Spiderman, or Transformers, or Batman, or "rockstar". He is a little apprehensive about new things and he hates vegetables. Although, now he will say that he likes them and then sits at the table for an hour before he chokes them down. Batman, as he likes to be called most days, is also a constant source of laughs. He always has something hilarious to say.

This year J had to share his birthday with Thanksgiving. We had John's side of the family over for the day. We started with a yummy breakfast and then cake, of course. He had his own little cake for his special day and then we opened gifts. What a spoiled little boy!! He was thrilled with all of the super hero toys he got, his swords, the movies and the Batcave. He also got some clothes and a new "rockstar" blanket. We had so much food all day and a delicious Thanksgiving feast. Some of the company had to leave a little early due to Uncle Blake's asthma attack. But we had a great and crazy day with everyone over. I am so grateful to have such supportive and loving families on both sides. I am grateful to have the Gospel of Jesus Christ in my life and the knowledge of a living Father in Heaven. We are so blessed! I am grateful to have the four beautiful healthy children we have. I am so thankful for my sweet Jake. He is truly a special part of this family and he has so much to offer to us and to the world. Happy Birthday my boy!!
 Goofy kid!! He actually saw the picture of his "birthday rockstar shirt" one the computer the other day (my mistake for having it up while he was in the room) and he said, "Mom that is the shirt I want for my birthday! It has stars and a 5 and guitars! I want one just like that!" He was so excited!!

He was so excited about his own personal cake.

Super heroes!! What a boy...

AAHHH...the Batcave. He has been asking for one for months!

2 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

such a cute little guy!!! (though your labor story sounds like he better be a good one because you sure put up with a lot! lol)

So much fun--glad it was a great birthday!

Danna said...

Happy Birthday J!!! Sounds like a wonderful day!